Do you know that you can transform the color of the lights on your keyboard? If you are a gamer then having a colored keyboard is a must for you. Most recent notebooks and laptops come with a backlighting feature. More often than not, people don’t know that the color of the backlighting can be easily changed in just a few clicks.
Here is a short tutorial to show you just how it’s done.
Most of the high-end laptops in the market today support the RGB or even the regional key backlighting. It simply means that you can modify the console backlighting for any key of your keyboard.
How can you change the MSI Keyboard Backlighting color?
Most of the laptops and notebooks come with preinstalled keyboard drivers. These drivers control the backlight of your keyboard too. In the case of MSI keyboards, the keyboards are made by the Steel series.
So, you need to look for the Steelseries engine 3 in your start menu to change the backlight color of your keyboard.
Step 1: Open your Start menu, type Steelseries Engine 3, and click on search.
Step 2: Once the icon appears, click on the icon and go to the MSI Per-Key RGB Keyboard option.
Step 3: Once you get there, the keyboard and Lightning default settings will be displayed. Now you need to click the Config button (lower-left corner).
Step 4: On your left, a configuration window will open. If you don’t want any bother, you can merely select the default settings.
But what is the fun in that Why not customize according to your priorities?
Step 5: Now, click on the NEW icon which is displayed at the bottommost corner of the page.
Step 6: The system will request you to enter a title for the fresh configuration. Enter your title or any new label for saving these settings.
This option also gives you the liberty to specify the name and the types of applications for allowing these settings. Once you have chosen your application, simply click save and save your settings.
Step 7: Now you are ready to change the colors of your keyboard lighting according to your wishes and liking.
Tools and their meanings:
You will get a variety of tools for selecting the colors and effects which are explained below for your easy understanding.
- Select: You can select a single individual button or key on the keyboard.
- Group selection: You can select a group of buttons or keys on the keyboard.
- Magic wand: You can select all areas or keys with the same effect of color.
- Brush: You can apply an effect to an area or an individual key.
- Color cube: You can apply the effect to any key, button, or key area.
- Eraser: This tool deletes the effect of an area/group of keys or a single key. It simply removes any of the settings which you have assigned to a specific area.
- Effect selector: It helps in selecting the effects to a selected area or a key on the keyboard.
How to use the Colour Selector?
Once you have got the hang of the various tools, now it is time to choose the actual effect and color of your choice. Below the tools panel, you will see the Colour selector in the drop-down list for the effect of your choice.
Hers is a quick guide to choose different colors and effects on your keyboard backlighting feature:
- Permanent:This feature does the backlighting color on the selected key/area.
- Colour shift:This feature moves various colors to the area or key to which you have it assigned.
- Color change:In this function, you can choose up to four colors that will be assigned to your selected key or area.
- Reactive key:This is one of the coolest functions of keyboard colors. In this feature, you allocate an active color and also an inactive color to the group of keys/key/areas. When you press the key, the active light blinks and when you release it, the inactive light stays on display. It is like a customized key just for you.
- Cooling timer:This is also a unique feature that switches the keys from “Standby” to “Cooling” for a pre-set period. You can assign a pre-set signal to the key and it will light upon the basis of the signal.
- Disable backlight: If you don’t want the backlight, then this function helps you to disable the RGB of the button/zone. For example, if you are working in sunlight or bright light and don’t need the backlight at all then you can simply disable the backlight.
Step 8: Once you are done customizing and playing with all the options, functions, and tools of the optimizer, you have to click Save (lower-left corner). All your settings for your keyboard backlight coloring are now set and now you can have that funky amazing colored keyboard like all your friends.
How to change the Backlighting Keyboard color in other laptops?
Some of the laptops of HP, Acer, and Apple feature zoned backlighting. Some of the examples of these laptops are Apple MacBook Pro, HP OMEN Laptop, Dell XPS 15, Acer Swift 3, etc.
Zoned backlighting means that you can change the color of the backlighting of your keyboard according to the pre-sets available. It is highly used by gamers to keep track of different keys while playing or even for live video streaming where it looks cool.
Here are simple steps to enable the zoned backlighting in the below-mentioned laptops:
- You have to go to the command center of your laptop.
- On the left side of the command center, you will see the “lighting” preference. Select it.
- In this menu, you will see a “Keyboard” icon in the right corner. Click on it.
- Automatic, Static as well as of will be the three modes in the drop-down list.
- You have to click on the “Static” Mode. In the list shown in the drop-down, you will be able to choose from six color templates. These templates include MMO and P1-P6.
- You can select any of the templates as per your choice. You can also see a color guide in the bottommost corner. This color guide helps you to choose different colors as per your choice.
- Now just click on “Apply” on your choice of template and enjoy the colorful keyboard.
These steps are really easy to use and once you get around to them you can play around them. Within a few tries, you will be able to get it and you can customize the colors of your keyboard according to your liking.